Monday, November 17, 2008

What a dismal day!

All day, we were plagued with rain, wind, and cold. Seriously, it was dreadful. But what can you do? I hiked to classes in it, and hiked back. And then took a nap, because what else is there to do on a day like today? I should be used to it by now, haha. I am over my previous cold, but I'm now afraid that I'll get sick again. Better bulk up on echinecea.

Recently, I've been talking with people about how much we don't like Ireland. Haha. There are only a handful of exchange students that actually like living here. We're all taking advantage of this great opportunity to learn everything we can, but...I'm just going to let the cat out of the bag- I don't like it here. I'm not sure I ever really did. There were nice points, sure, you've read about a lot of them. But when we strip away the occasional weekend retreats or the few fun city outings, I'm left feeling absolutely stranded in this country. I just don't like it. And I have a suspicion that Ireland doesn't like me either. It's been rather hostile towards me in the past three months, and I'm frankly tired of putting up with it. I can push through for another 22 days, of course I can. But I will be so glad to return home, to normalcy.

Perhaps you find it sad and a little strange that I am rejecting this adventure. It's certainly not in my character to turn down a good challenge, to admit defeat, to come home with my tail between my legs. But the first of many lessons I've learned here is that there's a place for everyone. Ireland is not my place. The second of many lessons is that I can create an adventure anywhere I am, it's up to me to determine how and where. There is nothing extraordinarily interesting or exciting about living in this green country. I thought this would be a great way to kick around before graduation. I'm afraid Disillusionment has been a bitter friend. I'm not going to rant and rave about it. As I've told many people who have witnessed my gruelling journey here (emotional, psychological, and physical), there is only so much you can complain about, I might as well just suck it up and get through it. So that is exactly what I will do, I'll continue to wade through all the crap until I reach my final destination: Clemmons, NC. Or really, Charlotte Douglas International Airport, where my lovely parents will hug me and welcome me home.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of this through hindsight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a TAIL?!?!?!?!? How come nobody ever told me?
love,
momma

Anonymous said...

hey, I sent you a package today ... some things to cheer you up!!!! Should be there by Monday! Yay.
momma