Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

The Irish really do love this holiday. They love it from 12:00 am to 12:00 pm, and even a little more on either end. It's a little ridiculous, actually. None of us had plans to go into town last night, but all of a sudden we were being informed left and right that city center is the place to be for the night before Halloween. So out we went. I have never seen so many costumes in my entire life! Every person between the ages of 16 and 22 was sporting a costume (except for some of us foreign kids). We saw people dressed like crayons, monsters, movie characters, and things we couldn't determine. It was hilarious to see all of these people running around. I, of course, was surprised at this display of enthusiasm for a holiday that folks my age generally don't celebrate in the States. I mean, sure, there might be a party with your friends, you might take your kid siblings trick-or-treating, but there is no Halloween celebration like the Galway celebration.

And TODAY is Halloween!!! Last night was just the day before!! We asked the Irish about this, and we were told that because most of the students go home on the weekends, Thursday night is the real celebration. I'm still trying to decide if I want to dress up in a costume tonight. Probably not. Halloween is globally the excuse for girls to dress a little more, ermm, scandalously? Not my thing, not even for a holiday. Not too many plans as of yet, but due to their success on Saturday night, crepes will most certainly be eaten. :)

No comments: